Following the alternate history of ‘if the Spanish Armada had conquered England,’ I made this textbook cover (in Spanish because that’s what we’d all speak).
Using tips from the Canva tutorial on fonts and weight, I started with the title, “La Armada Espanola.” I knew I wanted it large, the most dominant feature. I chose a fitting font style and increased the size to fit the page.
The sub-title, “Historia de la invasion que selló el destino de un imperio” (History of the invasion that sealed the fate of an empire), I originally kept the same font but much smaller and with an extra space between the words for legibility. I later changed the sub-title font style to contrast with the title style, per Canva tutorial instructions.
I went online to find an image of the British Empire, which would likely not have risen if the Spanish had won. I imported it into Photoshop, highlighted all the Spanish Empire countries with the magic wand tool and made them all the same color with the Fill option. I then changed the color to a gradient with the colors of the Spanish flag.
I found fitting images and copied/pasted them onto the cover. I started with the ships at the top. I wanted the title font to match the colors of the Spanish flag, but it blended in too well with the golden hues of the armada image. Black was also too hard to read. I tried other colors, but settled on white. I experimented with inner and outer glows using red and gold, but discarded these in favor of a bevel (though I did keep the glows for the sub-title).
I took a step back and reviewed some design fundamentals from the Canva and Adobe sites, de-cluttering the look by removing some of the images. I added an image of Elizabeth I (defeated by Philip in this alternate history), but made her much smaller than Philip and beneath him on the page. I also nudged the background ship image to the right to make it look like it (and Philip) was running her over.
I zoomed out and looked at the image as a whole, thinking perhaps the muted colors of the map unbalanced the image. So I went in and intensified the colors a little, adding a gradient color to the oceans.