Okay! You know that feeling when you’re on a long, arduous journey and you keep thinking ‘we’ve got to almost be there by now’ and you look up and realize you’re just more than halfway there.
So, my first project since Wednesday was this Daily Create. Pen crafting is something I started doing a few years ago. It’s great therapy. A client commissioned a pen a while ago, and I sent still images and a few videos to her as work progressed, so I had them on file. I laid them all out in a video timeline, adding music and transitions.
The next day’s Daily Create had me learning about a writing system I’d never heard of before. Once I’d put the sound-characters in order, the face was obvious. I copied the characters and laid them out in a new Photoshop document, using various shape selection tools and the color Fill command to draw the face.
On Saturday, I tackled the Alternate History assignment for this week. Coming up with an idea took a little while, but creating a newscast in that alternate world seemed like a no-brainer. Once I changed the President’s name to the Spanish translation for ‘trump,’ that ruled out any borrowed audio that used his real name, but I’d already recorded my narration by the time I realized, so that was that. I downloaded supporting audio and recorded my daughter’s soundbite, laying all these into Audacity and cutting and trimming until I had a decent newscast.
The audio assignment I chose is “Have a phone conversation with yourself” (5 stars). This is based on an actual phone conversation I had, re-created to the best of my memory. I wrote out the script, recorded it, then imported it into Audacity. I used two tracks, one for my voice and ring/dial tone and the other track for the ‘caller.’ Having the second voice on its own track allowed me to batch-edit the whole track so the effects applied would be uniform.
Another day, another Daily Create. This time I used MS Powerpoint because it does make some pretty neat charts. The idea of procrastination came to me as I procrastinated, so in a way it was destiny.
I also commented on two of my peers’ work.
The all-sound-effect assignment was a little more challenging, both from creative and technical standpoints, but once I had the idea, the whole thing came together fairly quickly.
By this time I was fairly proficient at laying things out in Audacity, copying, cutting, pasting and dragging elements until it was just right.