Best Dad Ever

Since today is Father’s Day, it is only fitting that we present to you this old-timey educational video from the Assignment Bank (5 stars).

This video was a lot of fun to make, and the whole family chipped in. After some brainstorming, I had the idea and wrote the script in MS Word. We all got dressed and Image result for incompetent with technology funnystarted filming, shooting 26 takes to get it all. Brenda suggested we shoot in black and white and helped me find the setting on my camera. 

Image result for internet expensive funnyAfter shooting and recording narration, I went looking for supporting music, but found nothing online that was suitable and didn’t require that I enter a credit card number to download. Elvis was already on my hard drive, so I went with him.

I started by laying the music track down. Going through our 26 takes, I set in and out points at the portions I wanted to use, laying them into the timeline and then un-linking and deleting the audio. Once I had a rough cut, I went back through and did some fine-tune editing, trimming or extending shots as needed.

Now that the video and audio stood where I wanted them, I went in to add audio and video fades and transitions. Strangely, one of the free video effects that is included in VideoPad is ‘old film,’ which was definately the look I wanted for the movie. I used the shift key to select all the video clips and applied the effect, then exported the completed video.

How Tea’s Made

Via the Assignment Bank, this video shows how to make a cup of tea in today’s kitchen (4 stars).

How’d we do it?

After some planning, my personal barista and I went into the kitchen and began filming. Uploading and downloading 8 clips took considerably longer than the previous video. While that dragged on, I found the themeImage result for sucked in by tv music to How It’s Made, with which I’m very familiar because the dang show sucks me in every time.

Loading these into VideoPad, I started with the background music. I set in and out points on each video clip I wanted to use and lay them into the timeline, unlinking the audio from each clip and deleting it.

Once I had things roughly where I wanted, I watched the assembled video, pausing to write the narration. I recorded it with a handheld audio recorder and imported it to VideoPad. I laid each portion of narration on a second audio track in its appropriate place.

Image result for funny money memeOnce that was complete, I did some fine-tune video and audio trimming. As it turns out, if you want to do good audio work you have to buy the $100 VideoPad upgrade.

But I did find a way to lower the background music so it didn’t drown out the narration. Finally, I put in rough dissolve video transitions where they were needed to show time lapse and exported the video.

Psycho Cheese

Courtesy of the DS106 Assignment Bank, here is the 5-second film (4 stars), Psycho Cheese.

How’d they do it?

After brainstorming some ideas, Cordelia and I settled on parodying the shower scene from Psycho.

As I prepared the cheese tray and Cordy did her makeup, Danielle came home, which was great because I soon realized I needed three hands to hold the knife, hold the camera and tear aside the shower curtain. We enlisted Danielle as the knife-wielding psycho and shot it in four or five takes.

Image result for got that goin for meWe used a real knife, by the way, and they did their own stunts.

Importing the video into VideoPad, I trimmed off the excess beginning and end, parring the thing down to exactly 5 seconds.

I downloaded and imported Bernard Herrman’s “Psycho Theme” from the onlines (or the ‘interwebs’ to be technical), laying the music down on a second audio track. I unlinked the main audio from its video, split it right before Cordy speaks, and cut away the unnecessary beginning sound.

Deciding it needed a title, I used a preset ‘wave’ effect and a text overlay to make the opening credits. I created scrolling end-credits also using a preset from VideoPad.

 

After watching it a time or two, I extended the music to begin with the opening credits to help set the mood. Of course, that screwed everything up already in the timeline, so I made a few adjustments, added a fade or two, and exported.

Voila!